New Circular Economy package will support plastics recycling
We estimate that – not just plastic – but waste prevention, eco-design, re‑use, recycling and similar measures could bring net savings of 600 billion euro, or 8% of the annual turnover for businesses in the EU (…),
said Karmenu Vella.
PRE has released as well during the conference a study: Increased EU Plastics Recycling Targets Environmental, Economic and Social Assessment, which argues that Greenhouse Gas savings of plastic recycling could result in 11.5% less emissions produced by the EU plastics industry by 2025.
Additionally, the study reveals that in order to achieve the recycling target of 60 % for plastic packaging by 2025 as many as 250 new sorting facilities as well as 300 new recycling plants will be needed in Europe if the target is to be implemented. These investments will create more than 120,000 of jobs across the EU.
Ton Emans, PRE President, said:
As much as 74% of plastics waste in Europe is still not managed in a sustainable way, either by landfilling or incinerating it. The revised circular economy package shall focus on changing this situation. PRE is supporting the Commission in its work to close the loop.
During the PRE General Assembly the Board Members as well as the Working Group Chairmen were re-elected for the period of 2 years (2015-2017). Ton Emans (CeDo) was re-elected as the PRE president and the LDPE chairman.
Re-elected PRE Board Members and chairmen:
- Christian Crépet (Sorepla Industrie) Vice-President, Chairman of HDPE/PP Working Group, Vice-Chairman PET Working Group.
- Casper van den Dungen (Poly Recycling GmbH), Vice-President, Chairman of PET Working Group.
- Hans-Jürgen Berenbruch (Politex S.a.s. di Freudenberg Politex Srl), Treasurer.
- Jim Armstrong (JFC Plastics), Board Member.
- Roger Baynham (BPFRC), Board Member.
- David Eslava (Eslavas Plasticos), Board Member.
- Werner Kruschitz (Kruschitz GmbH), Board Member.
- Paolo Glerean (Aliplast S.p.A), Board Member.
- Ivan Ivanovics (Mikrolin Hungary Ltd.), Board Member.
- Sebastien Petithuguenin (Paprec), Chairman of the PVC Working Group.
- Michael Scriba (mtm plastics), Chairman of the Mixed Plastics Working Group.
- Lukas Intemann (Ecoplast), Vice-Chairman LDPE Working Group
- Herbert Snell, (Mulitport) Vice-Chairman HDPE/PP Working Group, Vice-Chairman PET Working Group.
- Ansgar Thees-Ovelgönne (Thees Recycling), Chairman Crates & Pallets Working Group.
Speakers: Karmenu Vella (EU Commission), Jonas Byström (EIB), Gary Crowford (Veolia), Pieter Depous (EEB), Ton Emans (PRE), Manfred Hackl (EREMA), Bernard Le Moine (APE Europe), Gerald Rebitzer (Amcor), Jim Armstrong (moderator, JFC Plastics).
Sponsors: EREMA GmbH, Next Generation Recycling GmbH, Vecoplan AG, Sorema srl, Lindner Resource GmbH, Herbold Meckesheim GmbH.